Here are our favorites!
Buyers will be looking at all of the homes for sale in Indianapolis in price ranges and locations similar to yours. Some of the properties may even be new construction. It’s essential for your home to look its very best. We have walked homes with many, many buyers and understand what it takes to go from “it’s ok” to “LOVE IT”!
Even if you’re still in the “just thinking about selling” stage — these ideas will help you put a plan in place for when the time is right.
Low Cost—High Impact Improvements
- Make the interior of your home squeaky clean — if you don’t have time, hire a professional. It’s worth the investment.
- De-clutter! Particularly small decorative, seasonal, or holiday items
- Edit down the family pictures and remove magnets and other items from your refrigerator
- Clear off kitchen and bathroom counters
- Make your closets look organized, roomy and welcoming
- Consider renting a storage unit, or neatly store items in the garage
- If something is broke – fix it! If you started a “project” – finish it!
- Remove wallpaper and borders
- Paint! Use a neutral color (a stager favorite is Sherwin Williams Kilm Beige), avoid white walls, and don’t forget the woodwork! Make it shine!
- Have carpets and ceramic tile professionally cleaned.
- If the ceiling is spotted from some past event – paint it!
- Launder bed coverings or replace with new for a fresh clean look
- Purchase “company is coming ” towels for the bathrooms
- Remove small area rugs if not absolutely necessary or replace if worn
- Replace all burnt out light bulbs (use the highest “safe” wattage with instant on feature)
- Remove/store over-sized furniture that overwhelms the space or constricts traffic patterns
- Deep clean the bathrooms – and while you are at it, re-caulk showers and tubs
- Clean out under sinks – ensure the area is clean and dry. Buyers hate mold and mildew!
- Insert fresh cabinet liner material and leave the area uncluttered
- Replace furnace filters and wipe off air return vents in each room
- Wash windows, screens and blinds
- Enhance the curb appeal of your home
- Tidy, freshly mown and edged lawn (fertilize and water to make it look its very best)
- Plant seasonal flowers
- Apply fresh mulch and trim trees and landscaping
- Replace broken/worn mailbox
- Update tired lawn furniture cushions
- Power wash driveway, sidewalks, patio and siding as needed
- Make a good first impression – the front porch area must be clean and inviting
- Fresh paint on & around the door
- New welcome mat or pot of flowers
- Make sure front door unlocks and opens easily
A Little More Expensive…but usually worth the investment!
- Replace worn or “taste specific” carpet with neutral colors
- Replace brass light fixtures, door handles, and/or faucets
- Replace shower doors if they are beginning to show their years
- Remove/replace heavy, dated or bold colored window treatments
- Have a professional remove mildew from roof – don’t power wash it!
- Reseal Deck
- Replace rotted exterior wood and repaint where pealing or faded
- Replace kitchen appliances if they are mismatched, old, or worn out — most buyers prefer stainless
- Replace worn/dated counter tops with neutral colored Formica, granite, or other solid surface alternatives that are appropriate for price range of the property
- Update old, overgrown landscaping